11 December 2013

CASE Study Challenge #169 - Playing with gold leaf

I am playing along with the CASE Study challenge today. I love that this challenge is honoring Cath, and I adore the fabulous image. 


I had been playing with gold leaf on a card last week. When I saw this challenge I decided gold leaf would fit perfectly. I love how the gold appears randomly on the skirt/dress and tried to replicate that. The card sat without a sentiment for many days as I tried several 'stick on' ideas. In the end I thought this simple approach worked best.





A tutorial on using fine gold leaf here. Ellen uses adhesive paper to secure the gold leaf. I swiped a foil/glitter glue over the card with a palate knife, let it dry (actually force dried it with a heat gun because I am impatient-watch for bubbling), before applying the gold leaf. My gold leaf was purchased from an art shop many years ago. It came as fine flat sheets stored between a tissue. It is really easy and fun to use. I think it gives the best gold finish as I hope the close up photo below shows.




Stamps: Clearly Besotted FANCY FEATHERS and matching dies. Hero Arts sentiment
Ink: Hero Arts Gold embossing powder, Versafine black, aqua pastel (in cake form) background feathers
Distress and Marvey markers, Gold Leaf with Clear Glue for foiling and glitter.

To finish I am including the other Gold Leaf card made last week (not for the challenge). The photo doesn't show the wonderful colour of the gold leaf..




Hope you are having a great day!
Karen

8 comments:

Sindhu said...

Beautiful cards! I love the first one more!

Kristie Goulet said...

WOW! Karen, your first card is stunning!!! Congratulations on your win over at CASE Study!!!

Unknown said...

How clever of you Karen to incorporate gold leaf application on your lovely card. . . .simply stunning. Now I know how to work with "gold leaf." I would always see it in the store and never know what to do with it, in connection with cardmaking.
Thank you,
Loralee

Cris G. said...

Oh, wow, Karen! Congratulations on your well deserved win at Case Study! Your cards are both gorgeous, although is easier to see your inspiration on the first one. I love the artsy style and the gold leaf gives an amazing look!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Beautiful cards Karen. Love the feathers and the gold splatters.

maria f. said...

Beautiful cards, you create a great "flow" with your collaged items. Congrats on your CASE win.

Joni Andaya said...

All I can say is WOW! I am totally in love with the 1st feather card! The details of gold is to die for, its a perfect gold. Love..love..love!

Lesley said...

Wow!